Pages

Thursday, May 3, 2012

Let the Journaling Begin

Today I wanted to share with you the first few pages of my art journal.  Not so you could read the inner most workings of my heart (the pages aren't big enough for that!) but so you could see the end product and maybe be inspired to start your own art journal.  Frankly, I have no idea what I am doing as I begin each page, I just let my heart and God lead me.
I showed you the background of this one in my last post but I thought I would share with you what it looked like and the format I think I am adopting as I begin this journey.  Christy Tomlinson has been giving us journaling prompts to prepare us for the workshop before it begins. (This is the Living Canvas Workshop)  I thought I would share them with you as we go so you could think about who you are and where you are going in life.
I have decided that with each week's prompt, I will journal on the right and then create a mixed media piece on the left in response to the journal entry.  Here is week 1 prompt:
  • Write down one moment of clarity or accomplishment that you are proud of that you remember.
  • Write down one trial or heartache that shapes you in some way.
    • How did this change your day to day way of doing things?
    • How did it affect you?
    • From these experiences, did you find motivation or a purpose to do better or be better?
Because my moment of clarity came when I was creating a piece of art inspired by Proverbs 31, I decided to put all of the things God says makes up a virtuous women on the page on the left.  I would encourage you to read Proverbs 31.  God puts these expectations in such a kind and loving way, how can I disappoint??
Now because I started out a little behind, I also have week two for you to see.  I had fun using a Tim Holtz mask on my journal page and then my spray inks.  It made for a quick and easy background.  This prompt forced us to think a bit about our strengths and weaknesses, which makes me realize although I have made some changes in my life to be more like what God wants me to be, I am forced to see that I still have a lot of work to do.  Here is week 2 prompt:
  • The 6 F's and Balance in your life
    • Faith, Family, Fun, Friends, Fitness and Finances
  • Write about one that is going really well
  • Write about one that is not going so well
    • Think about the imbalance of the two and why you think its going the way it is.
    • What do you want to do differently?
    • What is your desire for the future?
I decided to write a little about all of them although I think the one I am the best at achieving is fitness and that is not saying much.  I work out 5 days a week but the imbalance comes in with food :(  Finance is probably my weakest area and as you will see in my next journal entry, probably next week, it is a goal to change that in the very near future.
For the art part of this prompt I was very led by the Spirit to create this girl.  A friend shared an inspiring verse with me a few days ago from Ephesians 1:17 or somewhere there very close.  It says that God gives us the power to overcome, the same power with which He raised Jesus from the dead!  WOW!!!  That gives a little more clarity to the verse, "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me."  Eternal life in Heaven is not the only gift we receive as followers of Christ Jesus.

A little about my girl, I seriously think she is my favorite that I have made so far.  The colors were outside my usual palette and I think that pushed me to try new things on this one.  So, I subscribe to the Peachy Keen monthly stamp and kit clubs and that is where the paper, green flower, little button and butterfly came from.  CUTE!!!  I got the Christy Tomlinson rub-ons in the mail today and of course I had to use them immediately.  For this girl I decided not to paint her face because when I got her head glued down I realized that just by luck (which I don't believe in, God does those things we call "lucky") the words jewel and diamonds are right on the face.  It reminded me that in the Bible God says we are more precious than jewels or diamonds!  I love it when that happens!
I hope you decide to come on this journaling journey with me.  I could use the support :)  You can just use the prompts as I give them to you or you can sign up for Christy's workshop and join in the messy art fun too in the Living Canvas Workshop.  If you decide to do that, be sure to tell her I sent you.
Have a blessed day,
Jana

3 comments:

  1. i love your pages so far. i like the idea of journaling on one side and art journaling on the other. very cool!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I find myself thinking you and I have a lot in common! I too am a teacher (Kg) who is stepping away next year to be 'in the house' when my son and daughter need me...whether they realize it or not! I also struggle to stay balanced with trying to be the best teacher I can be, and being the best wife and mother at the same time....along with carving out time with God! I love crafting and creating, and would like to journal a project as you have. I could use some time to reflect and grow in my walk. One question...what type of journal did you use?
    Blessings!
    heather

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Heather,
    Thanks for your comments. I feel ya! So many mothers struggle day to day with balancing life. No that I am actually staying home it is wonderful. The only thing I deal with now is a bit of guilt that my hubby works so hard and I have all the fun :) I just used a generic journal from Hobby Lobby for my journaling. I encourage you to go through some journaling exercises, they do help you focus and prioritize and especially reflect, which is something we don't always take the time to do but it gives you a peace you can only get by this process. Good luck and I hope it goes well!
    Blessings,
    Jana

    ReplyDelete